Individual Counseling for Trauma
Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster. Others experience trauma early in life in the form of neglect and/or child abuse and continue to experience some form of trauma throughout their life which may include emotional abuse, intimate partner violence, military sexual abuse, stalking and the loss of a loved one.
While it is possible to recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover the effects of trauma to be lasting, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or post-traumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
Following is a list of the primary symptoms associated with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and associated disorders resulting from experiencing trauma. These symptoms are divided into four types of symptoms as listed in the DSM-5:
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. Some of the more commonly used forms prolonged exposure (PE), cognitive processing therapy (CPT), and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as used EMDR in treating trauma.
If you or someone you know matches the trauma symptoms listed above, I am confident that I can help and invite you to contact me today for a free phone consultation.